Updated by Samantha Samuels
How to send Advocate Personal Referral Link (PURLs) Post Purchase through Klaviyo - Drive Referral Program Awareness
Setup Your Flow
In your Klaviyo account navigate to Flows on the left side menu
Click Create Flow
Click Create from Scratch or choose from an existing flow
Name your flow - Example: Advocate Refer-a-friend Reminder Email w/ referral link
Select the Metric flow trigger on the left side menu
Configure Flow Logic
Select the trigger action, Fulfilled Order from the dropdown.
Setup a Time Delay
Best practice is to create a time delay between the fulfillment of the order and when the Post Purchase email is sent to the new customer. Under Timing click Time Delay. Drag it over to add it to your automated flow.
Add a Conditional Split
This component will allow you do the following:
- Setup an email flow that only dynamically includes the friendbuy referral link in an email only if a referral link is available
- If no referral link is available, you can send a separate email and include a link to your refer-a-friend landing page, so you can still remind customers to refer-a-friend
In the left hand menu choose:
- Properties about someone from the dropdown
- Type in 'Friendbuy Referral Link' in the Klaviyo Properties dropdown
- Review the full list of Friendbuy Custom Properties you can include in your messaging
- Choose the conditional is set from the dropdown to the right
Add 2 Emails to your Flow
Add two separate emails to your flow. Under Actions click Email and drag it over to add it to your automated flow.
- An email that will be sent if yes, a referral link is available for the customer and will be dynamically inserted
- Example: ref.yourstorename.com/v/samantha25
- An email that will be sent if no, a referral link is not available for the customer and you want to include a link to your refer-a-friend landing page.
- Example: yourstorename.com/refer
Design Email #1 - Referral Link is Dynamically Inserted
Design the first email in your flow (the one with the referral link included). Click the three dots in the corner of the first email in the flow and then click Edit
Choose how you would like to design your email.
Choose a template from the Klaviyo template library
In the email editor, edit the copy and update the creative to whatever you’d like the email to say. Then, navigate to the section where you want to insert the personal referral link.
Click insert properties and type in Friendbuy Referral Link, which will automatically populate.
Design Email #2 - Include a Link to your Refer-a-friend Landing Page
Design the second email in your flow (the one that will be sent if a referral link is not available for a customer) Navigate back to your email flow and click Edit on the Email #2 component
Follow the previous instructions for creating a new email.. Then, in the new email design include a link to your dedicated refer-a-friend landing page.
Push your Flow Messages Live
Click to learn how to turn an individual flow message live
Click to learn how to turn every flow message live