Updated by Connor Fotsch
Leverage Friendbuy's integration with Klaviyo to grow your Email and SMS subscriber lists to seamlessly automate Referral program customer communications. After setting up the integration, customer profiles will be created in Klaviyo for any opted-in email addresses captured by Friendbuy. All available customer data will be added to the Klaviyo profiles, including Personalized Referral Links (PURLs), Coupon Codes, and additional Referral program details, which you can then include in your Klaviyo messaging. If you are also integrated with Klaviyo's SMS product, Friendbuy will send opted-in phone numbers of Advocates and Friends as well.
You can then use Klaviyo to send a personalized email or SMS message to thank an Advocate for sharing or remind them to continue sharing by including their unique referral link (PURL). You can also message Referred Friends to provide product recommendations after they have earned a coupon code. This integration enables a powerful customer experience that will automate outreach at scale.
Set up Integration in Friendbuy
- Log into Friendbuy and navigate to the integrations page by clicking Settings, followed by integrations.
- Click on on the Klaviyo tile
- Here you will see the button to install Klaviyo.
- Click Install Integration. This will direct you to Klaviyo's permissions page. Click Allow to give Friendbuy access to the necessary information to integrate with Klaviyo.
- You will be redirected back to Friendbuy, and a success message will appear in blue text above the API Key confirming the integration was installed successfully.
- Once the integration is successfully installed, select which Klaviyo lists you want Friendbuy to add Advocate and Friend email addressesNote: The lists must be set up in Klaviyo before completing step 8. It is best practice to use separate lists for collecting Advocate and Friend email addresses. See additional details below for steps to set up lists.
- (Optional) If you have set up your SMS Channel in Klaviyo, select which Klaviyo lists you want Friendbuy to add Advocate and Friend phone numberNote: The lists must be set up in Klaviyo before completing step 9. It is best practice to use separate lists for collecting Advocate and Friend phone numbers. See additional details below for steps to set up your SMS Channel.
- Click Update Integration and then you are all set!
Set up Lists in Klaviyo
Tips before completing Step 8 and Step 9: Set up new lists in your Klaviyo account to organize Advocate and Friend contact information. Separate lists allow you to more easily manage subscribers opt-in status while also tracking list growth.
In your Klaviyo account, navigate to Lists & Segments > click Create List / Segment > choose to create a List > Enter a list Name (recommendations below) > click Create List
- Friendbuy Advocate Emails (set list to single opt-in)
- Friendbuy Friend Emails (set list to single opt-in)
- Friendbuy Advocate Phone Numbers (set list to double opt-in)
- Friendbuy Friend Phone Numbers (set list to double opt-in)
- It is recommended to set up your email lists to be single opt-in
- It is strongly recommended to set up your phone numbers lists to be double opt-in to comply with mobile phone carrier requirements
Q: If I set up Emails and Phone Numbers to be added to the same Klaviyo list, how does the opt-in process work?
A: If your list is set up with Single Opt-In, both the customer's email and phone number will be added to the list automatically. If your list is set up with Double Opt-In, the customer will receive a DOI email and SMS message before their contact info is added to the list. Once the customer confirms DOI through either email or SMS, both their email and phone number will be added to the list simultaneously.
Set Up SMS Channel in Klaviyo
If you would like to receive Advocate and Friend phone numbers in your Klaviyo account, you must first configure the SMS Channel in Klaviyo. Please review Klaviyo's documentation to enable the SMS channel and set up your SMS Program.
- After setting up your SMS Program in Klaviyo and successfully completing the integration steps (#1-10 above), Friendbuy will automatically trigger Klaviyo's SMS Double Opt-In (DOI) Messaging process for customers, accordingly to your Klaviyo List Settings.
Q: What if I use Klaviyo SMS and another SMS Friendbuy-integration provider?
A: Customers will receive two separate DOI SMS messages if Klaviyo SMS Channel is enabled - one from Klaviyo and one from the other provider - since the customer's opt-in status is handled through two different providers. To suppress the Klaviyo DOI SMS message, ensure the SMS Channel is not enabled in your Klaviyo account or update your Klaviyo list settings to use Single Opt-In. When the SMS Channel is disabled, phone numbers will still be added to a customer's profile but the DOI SMS message will not be sent and consent will not be updated.
How to See Friendbuy Data in Klaviyo
Customer data collected in your Referral program will be added to the respective Klaviyo profiles as soon as they interact with your Referral program widgets.
The opt-in box(es) are included on your referral widget forms to collect consent from the customer indicating they would like to receive additional emails and/or SMS messages from your company. If a customer submits their contact information without the opt-in box(es) checked, the customer data will not be sent to Klaviyo since consent was not collected. See an example Referral widget below:
To view a customer's profile in Klaviyo, navigate to Lists & Segments > select the desired Friendbuy list > view all customer profiles within the list > click on an individual customer profile to see specific details.
Friendbuy Custom Properties - Referral & Loyalty
Friendbuy Custom Property
Friendbuy Customer Name
The name the customer entered when submitting their info through a referral widget
Friendbuy Referral Link
A personal referral link (PURL) generated for an Advocate. For example, https://fbuy.io/EzcW
Friendbuy Date of Last Share
The date and time the Advocate last shared with a Friend via any share channel. If the Advocate has not shared yet, the property won't be visible
Friendbuy Campaign ID
The Campaign ID associated with the personal referral link generated for an Advocate
Friendbuy Campaign Name
The Campaign Name associated with the personal referral link generated for an Advocate
Friendbuy Coupon Code
The most recent coupon code distributed to the customer
Note: only one code will be displayed
Friendbuy Coupon Value
The currency value of the most recent coupon code distributed to the customer
Friendbuy Coupon Status
The status of the most recent coupon code distributed to the customer.
Note: status will be 'distributed' or 'redeemed'
Friendbuy Coupon Currency
Currency code (USD, CAD, etc.) or percent (%) associated with the most recent coupon code distributed to the customer
Friendbuy Coupon Campaign ID
The Campaign ID associated with the coupon code generated for an customer
To establish profile attribution, the value will be equal to 'Friendbuy'
Friendbuy Referred Revenue
The total amount of referred revenue from a given Advocate
Friendbuy Referred Purchases
The number of purchases made from an Advocates referrals
Friendbuy Customer Birthday
Birthday entered by customer in an Advocate or Friend referral widget
Friendbuy Member Tier Name
The name of the tier the customer is currently in
Friendbuy [Merchant Points Label] Balance
Number of points the customer has available to redeem for a reward
Friendbuy Account Credit Balance
The credit amount a customer has available to spend
Friendbuy Loyalty Opt-In Date
The date when a customer chooses to enroll in a loyalty program
Referral Program Events
Reward customers for any of the following events that Friendbuy is sending to Klaviyo.
Friendbuy Custom Events for Referral Programs
Friendbuy Referral Share
Advocate shares the referral program offer through the widget with a Friend via Email, PURL, SMS or social (Facebook, Messenger, Twitter)
Friendbuy Referral Advocate Reward Earned
Avocate earns a reward after a referred Friend completes the referral conversion event and passes all business rules/fraud checks
Friendbuy Referred Friend Incentive Earned
Referred Friend completes the referral conversion event, passes all business rules/fraud checks, and then earns an incentive
Loyalty Program Events
Reward customers for any of the following events that Friendbuy is sending to Klaviyo
Friendbuy Custom Events for Loyalty Programs
Friendbuy Loyalty Reward Earned from a Purchase
Loyalty member makes a purchase, passes all associated earning event rules, and earns a reward
Friendbuy Loyalty Reward Earned from Joining Program
Loyalty member joins the program, passes all associated earning event rules, and earns a reward
Friendbuy Loyalty Reward Earned from Referring a Friend
Loyalty member refers a friend, passes all associated earning event rules, and earns a reward
Friendbuy Loyalty Reward Earned from a Sign Up
Loyalty member completes a designated sign up event, passes all associated earning event rules, and earns a reward
Friendbuy Loyalty Reward Earned from a Custom Event
Loyalty member completes a designated custom event, passes all associated earning event rules, and earns a reward
Friendbuy Member Tier Changed
Loyalty member tier has changed
If migrating from Friendbuy's First-Gen Platform to Next-Gen Platform
If you are migrating Friendbuy platforms, be sure to first uninstall any legacy Klaviyo integration and re-install the latest Klaviyo integration following steps outlined at the beginning of this article.